Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Hello

A short test entry... Welcome to my little blog, Uryu Custom Bags. "Uryu" is a Japanese name that translates as "Rain Willow," and was given to me by a friend. I have been making bags - book bags, tote bags, cross-body bags - since middle school in rural Pennsylvania, where I was fortunate to find a book on making simple bags in the school library. I've been hooked ever since! I am a full-time worker and have other activities as well, so posts to this blog will doubtless not be as frequent as I'd like, but I will eventually fill it with some personal history of bag-making, inspirations, as well as current projects. I am in the process of starting a bag-making and importing business, and so will include some of my progress in some of these entries. Like any artistic endeavor, it's a work in progress, and I invite you to come with me. To get started, I am including, just for the hell of it, a photo of my recent trip to Japan (I try to go every year), to the hot spring resort of Takayama. Takayama is a little town nestled in the mountains about a one-hour train ride from Nagoya. People come for the scenery, the hot springs, the historic old Buddhist temples, and the huge amount of handcrafts (including bags, of course). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment